Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Holy Week Reflection

I received an email forward from my mom that included an invitation to pray the rosary on Good Friday between 12-3pm to unite with others around the world to pray for peace in the world and the return of moral values into our communities. This is certainly a well-intentioned thought that has probably made its way around the internet and was additionally mentioned at Mass on Sunday.

The rosary is a beautiful prayer and one that draws us closer to God for those that practice it. If you are not familiar with praying the rosary, go to the internet and search "praying the rosary" and you will come up with a host of helpful sites in doing so.

The invitation struck me and caused me to think more deeply about Lent.

During our experience of Lent, from the moment we receive the ashes that begin our period of more intentional prayer, fasting and almsgiving, we recall Jesus' 40 days in the desert. These observances lead us to renew ourselves, draw us closer to God and prepare us for the new life of the Easter season. While saying a rosary on Friday might be a very specific way to be unified with Christians all over the world, hopefully through our Lenten observances, we have already done so.

I don't know that I "did" Lent as well as I have in past years. My practices and intentionality were inconsistent as I got caught up in the obligations of work and family and moving our home from Seattle. Yet, in the end, what I am buoyed by, is the intentionality of the moment and moving forward.

I remember something I took from a past Lenten homily by Archbishop Brunett where he communicated the reminder that the fruitfulness of our Lent would not come in how we give up chocolate for 4o days but how we have made a lasting change in our lives that brings us closer to God.

Fr. Thomas Vandenberg, at the Chancery Employee Retreat on Monday shared among his reflections the thought that people will know we are disciples of Christ by the love we have for one another and the need for us to surrender to that relationship and all the challenges that it entails.

Pondering these together has challenged me to think beyond a moment of common prayer time and to think about the entire Easter Triduum and surrendering to allow the experience transform me to new life in the Easter Season and beyond; a reengaging of the relationships I have in the community and with God, so that I can be the Light that God has called me to be and have source of faith I need to be so.

Whether it is through prayer, fasting or almsgiving, I pray for you all a fruitful Holy Week and new life in the Easter Season to come, with a sense of unity of purpose and action with others around the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment